Friday, 24 June 2016

Day 19 - Soup Recipe

Courgette and Tomato Soup


Just like every vegetable grower I find myself with a glut of vegetables come the early autumn. This is especially true of courgettes. I only plant two or three courgette plants every year but I still seem to have way too much. The gratitude of my neighbours as I present them with another courgette seems to diminish over time. This is a soup that uses quite a lot of courgettes and tomatoes. You're going to need your biggest saucepan for this.

Ingredients

1 tbsp butter

2 onions, chopped

1kg courgette, sliced

1kg tomato, chopped

2 tbsp plain flour

½ tsp turmeric

2 litres of stock (chicken or vegetable)

Method

1. Melt the butter in a large pan, add the onions and courgettes, and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat, stirring occasionally.

2. Add the tomatoes and flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring around to stop the flour from becoming lumpy. Add the turmeric and stock, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.

3. Purée the soup. If you prefer the soup to be less lumpy then sieve afterwards.

4. Serve hot with some crusty bread.

It also freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment